The death of a 1-year-old dog in an ER at Cabell Huntston Hospital has sparked a new debate over animal care at the emergency animal hospital.
A spokesperson for the hospital said the dog was in stable condition Thursday morning after it was taken to the hospital for a medical evaluation.
The statement said the patient’s condition was stabilized.
ABC affiliate WFTV reported that Huntton Fire Chief Joe Loh had said the hospital was treating the dog with a sedative.
Loh said Thursday that the dog died on its own.
“The dog had been in stable conditions.
We were able to stabilize the dog by putting it on a sedation and then it’s gone.
It’s all gone,” Loh said.
“We don’t know exactly how it happened.”
The statement from the hospital comes after the dog’s owner filed a complaint with the department of animal care.
A video on YouTube shows the dog being placed in a crate by emergency workers.
“I feel horrible.
I just feel so terrible.
I don’t even know what to say,” the woman in the video said.
The woman’s video prompted a new conversation about animal care in emergency departments.
Several other people have taken to social media to share their own stories of dogs dying in emergency situations.
A few days ago, the Tennessee Department of Health announced that they were closing down their pet rescue center.
As of Friday, the Nashville-area emergency animal care center had only four active dogs.
ABC affiliate WJHL reported that the Huntton hospital has a history of taking in injured or sick dogs.
The hospital’s website says the facility is accredited by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
In 2012, a dog was euthanized by a vet after he died while in a wheel chair in a room.